St.Joseph’s Matric. Hr. Sec. School, Salem – 6, started in 1958, is a Catholic Institution, meant primarily for Christians but open to students of other faiths, with special preference to the poor and established by the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny which has its headquarters at Paris. It is owned by the Educational society of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny, a Body registered under the Societies Registration Act 1960, and having its Registered Office at Salem. The school is registered under the Tamil Nadu Registration Act. Reg. No. 160 of 1973 and has permanent recognition.
Blessed ANNE MARIE JAVOUHEY (1779 -1851), urged by the desire to seek, find and accomplish the will of God, founded the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny. In fulfilling the will of God, she went beyond the boundaries of France, to Africa and Mana (South America), At Mana, she was the pioneer for the liberation of American slaves (apartheid). Her sisters, scattered over the five continents imbued with the same zeal, carry on her mission in the social, medical and educational fields.
In 1826 the first three Cluny Sisters came to Pondicherry. They were followed, three years later, by Mother Rosalie Javouhey, Anne Marie’s youngest sister. In accordance with the spirit of the Foundress, they launched out into social, medical and educational fields, to impart sound moral, spiritual, human and social values to the students for life and to prepare them for their respective roles in society, schools were established.